#WeLoveRadio Case Study - Diversifying the Client Brief for Radio.
Bauer Media Audio Ireland is the country’s largest commercial radio group with five radio stations including the national stations Today FM and Newstalk, two SPIN youth stations and 98FM in Dublin. They also operate Ireland’s leading digital sports brand OTB Sports, the aggregated listening platform GoLoud for radio, podcasts and music and audioXi, Ireland’s largest digital audio advertising exchange.
Account Manager Profile
Graham Twomey is the Direct Account Manager with Bauer Media. A skilled sales executive Graham has taken a number of Learning Waves courses including the Certificate in Digital Marketing for Radio and the Diploma in Social Media for Radio. He works with client brands in diverse sectors “I must educate my clients and help them leverage all the best platforms that would work best for them. It’s a minefield if you are not versed in digital marketing or social media", Graham Twomey, Bauer Media
The Changing Face of Sales in Radio
Graham saw the opportunity to bring his sales for radio skills into the Digital Age. His motivation to upskill is clear.
- Digital is a natural extension to the on-air offering of Bauer Media stations;
- Social media is a fundamental way in which listeners now engage with radio brands;
- Developing a new advertising mix requires account managers to re-think the client brief; and
- Clients look to account managers for digital marketing and social media expertise and so we need to be armed with data, insights, knowledge and skills.
“It’s important to think of multi-platform and cross selling when pitching to clients. Looking at conversion rates for our brands time after time we get higher than industry average results in display via HPTO (usually in excess of 1% versus an industry standard for display of 0.35%).
This is mainly down to the crossovers between FM and online: 72% of FM listeners on BMAI visit our websites with a high degree of regularity which means there can be served by both touch points - audio and display", Graham Twomey, Bauer Media
Partnering with Presenters & Brands on the Right Channels
The project presented by Graham as part of his Diploma in Social Media for Radio related to a real-time client campaign. It allowed him to apply his new knowledge to execute a multiplatform campaign.
- I suppose for me it was getting the right people in my company on board – as in finding who would help me with all the background stuff – So basically selling the idea to the station Newstalk – you can’t just offer a client this bespoke social media solution, you have to make sure the station wants to back it and what deliverables need to be in place then I had to sell it back to the clients… SELL SELL SELL.
- Also, to understand what I was offering the client.
- Deliver a social media solution that hit all their KPI’s and align the client brand and Newstalk brand in a very organic synergy.
- Showcase the client’s core business but in a panel discussion format.
- Showcase their expertise and leadership in cyber security.
- Develop A Facebook Live presented by tech expert and Newstalk presenter, Jess Kelly with a panel discussion on Ransome software and cyber security.
- Implement a combined web and social promotional plan on Facebook and Twitter.
Graham says he was able to deliver on clients key performance indicators and overall objectives with this campaign. A combined reach of 100,000 was delivered along with new leads generated for the client.
“I secured a long-term partnership after this event.” Graham Twomey, Bauer Media
- More insight into social media and what is possible for the campaign;
- How to think outside-the-box when I got the client brief and put social at the forefront of the campaign mix;
- Reporting for the campaign and 3 understanding the insights;
- Working with stakeholders and understanding their role in activating this campaign;
- The client loved the idea of collaborating with us to do a social media event and again the think outside-the-box approach to their brief worked; and
- The client valued the all final metrics report and shared our content across their channels.
Graham intends to keep himself updated on all things digital and social, such is the value of his knowledge to clients and developing the client brief. He also says his approach to the client brief has changed forever.
- Add digital to all my proposals that go out;
- Educate and understand client’s online presence and see how I can help them grow this and advise them where I can; and
- Keep myself informed on all things digital / social across all of our stations.
Advice to Radio Pro Colleagues
Ask for help internally as everyone is moving towards a singular goal, that of the client;
- Make sure the station is on board, sell your ideas to them first;
- Think outside-the-box and don’t always do what you always did;
- Understand what you are offering the client and manage client expectations;
- Know your clients digital and social footprint in advance; and
- Work within budget and know what you must allocate to other departments for billable costs etc.
Connect with Graham on LinkedIn.