JNLR figures published today confirm that radio remains THE choice for the Irish public when it comes to audio listening. 3.1 million People tune in each day! Despite the fact that listeners have more options than ever before, radio continues to dominate with 82% choosing radio daily.
The joint national listenership research conducted by Ipsos MRBI covers the 12 month period July 2016 to June 2017 and involves nearly 17,000 respondents annually; making it one of the most extensive research pieces in the country. Chairperson of #Choose Radio, a group which represents all of the Irish radio industry’s sales houses, Gabrielle Cummins says “this robust piece of research provides advertisers with substantial data to clearly analyse audience listening habits so they can help formulate an effective advertising plan”. She also points out that “all radio stations in Ireland have invested significantly in their digital output because it’s crucial that we continuously adapt and evolve to exceed our audience’s ever changing expectations”. Collectively, all radio stations in Ireland now have over three million listening on air and over 8 million social media followers. With such a large, engaged audience across multi platforms, the #ChooseRadio group is focused on championing the many merits of the medium which the group describes as the original social media.
Today’s JNLR results complement a recent poll commissioned by the #ChooseRadio group from Spark Research Company which has revealed that almost 60% think radio is a trustworthy source*. Gabrielle Cummins says “the reality is that radio connects with more people than any other medium in Ireland so if you have a message you want to get across to your target in an effective way then then the obvious option is to #ChooseRadio!”
Here are some of the facts from the figures :
1. 82% of people in Ireland listened to the radio yesterday.
2. On average, they spend over 4 hours with radio every day.
3. When it comes to any audio listening in Ireland, live radio rules with 87.6%. This compares to 8% of owned music and 3.2% to Spotify.
4. Radio also dominates when compared with other media - 51% of all adults in Ireland used Social Media yesterday and just 40% read a national newspaper.
5. 413,000 people in Ireland listened to radio via either a radio station App or the Irish Radioplayer in the last seven days.
6. Irish radio’s strong on air performance is complemented across their digital platforms with over 8.1 million social connections.
*Spark Omniboost Poll, Summer 2017